Gary Chalk is a wargame designer, illustrator and model-maker who is perhaps best known for his contributions to the Lone Wolf series of gamebooks written by Joe Dever, as wel as producing large amounts of artwork for Games Workshop in the 1980s in a freelance capacity
Born in 1952, Gary grew up in rural Hertfordshire, England. He started playing wargames at the age of 15. He holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in design, and spent time as a teacher of art and design before going freelance. He now lives and works in France.
Gary's work for Games Workshop includes the board game Talisman designed by Richard Harris, writing the regular miniatures review column Tabletop Heroes in White Dwarf with Lone Wolf writer Joe Dever, as well as artwork for articles, and contributions to games such as Heroquest and Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader.
Gary is also a prolific childrens / young adult illustrator, including internal illustrations for the first six volumes of the Redwall series. He has also drawn maps for the entire selection of Warriors books by Erin Hunter. In gaming Garys work can also worked for Rackham miniatures working on the RPG Cadwallon and miniatures rules Confrontation.
As a game designer, Gary wrote and illustrated the board war game Cry Havoc published by Standard Games - a medieval skirmish game which spawned a series of based on the same mechanics, and Fantasy Warlord with Ian Bailey and published by their own company Folio Works, which also spawned a miniatures line, sculpted mostly by Bob Olley.
- Attack of the Ogroids - a type in hybrid computer / board game for the ZX spectrum.
- Cry Havoc
- Fantasy Warlord
- Battlecars and the expansion Battlebikes
- Curse of the Mummy's Tomb board game
- Cadwallon (role-playing game)]]
- Devil Kings
- HeroQuest (Cards and Rulebook illustration
- Fantasy Warlord with Iam Bailey
- Caverns of the Dead Dungeon Planner series (cover)
- Terror of the Lichemaster booklet cover.
- Orcs Drift box cover, internal book
- Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader
- Redwall series by Brian Jacques
- Sundered Lands by Allan Frewin Jones
- Warriors series by Erin Hunter
- Caroline Sheldon Illustrators—Books, film and television. Carolinesheldonillustrators.co.uk. Retrieved on 2012-03-09.
- Gary Chalk – Books, Biography, Contact Information. Jacketflap.com. Retrieved on 2012-03-09.